Thursday, October 12, 2006

I went for a run at 4 am yesterday. I couldn't sleep and I had to get up at 5:30 to eat, then sleep briefly before getting up at around 8 to run. When I was still wide awake at 4 am I, lacking the Internet, made the executive decision to go for a run (don't ever live by yourself in a large city) so that I could sleep at 6 and sleep for a few hours before my 10 am class. Actually, I didn't just go for a run, I went over to the track at Central Tech to run 800-metre repeats. I have to admit that hammering out a track workout in the middle of the night is something I always wanted to do, but I thought that it was just fantasy since I couldn't possibly run fast at 3 am.

The streets are empty at 4 am, but I didn't think Bloor Street would be that empty. I was able to run unchallenged in the lefthand lane, facing traffic, from Spadina to Bathurst. When I got to the track, I first swept the area to make sure that no one was watching and, more importantly, that there were no bundles in the corners indicating a sleeping person. I was surprised at how dark the track was. It actually looked bigger in because of the dark, I'm not sure why, and I was a little apprehensive: I was in control of the entire place and the track was mine to do with as I pleased.

The workout was surprisingly great, both considering my knee and the time. I wanted to average 3:02 per repeat with 90 seconds in between, 3:02 being goal 10k pace, while feeling like it was fast but I was holding something back. The first one was in 3:02 and I actually lost focus because the I noticed that the CN Tower was just so big. After that, I dropped it down to 3:00, 2:58 and 2:57, slowing down in the last lap of the last repeat but still running it in 87 seconds. I think I can attribute a lot of the speed to the adrenaline of the situation. Still, I think there's some merit in being able to hit race pace in the middle of the night. I was back home at 5 am, having accomplished more than most people do by that time. I had accomplished almost as much as the street buffer who stared at me so much that I almost thought I shouldn't have been out there.

No comments: