Monday, February 26, 2007

What's really striking about traveling to Whitehorse and back by bus, with such a short stay in Whitehorse, is that I averaged over 50 kilometres each and every hour. This includes time in Whitehorse, but also time spent sleeping, eating, and roaming Edmonton, Regina or Dryden, ON. This even includes the couple of hours I spent running in Whitehorse, though not the roughly 25 kilometres I covered. Giving up your life to the schedules and machinations of Greyhound Canada isn't easy, but the totality of the experience is worth it in some ways. After all, spending 20 hours on a bus with minimal breaks to travel from Sault Ste. Marie to Winnipeg is one thing, but getting back on the bus after three minutes to go to Regina overnight and then to end up in Calgary for dinner and Edmonton for 10 pm is something else. You may have inferred, then, that I slept on a bus for 8 of 9 nights and didn't change clothes after Wednesday.

Some pictures from the return trip are below.

Riyaad can be lethal with a camera. Here, he catches me undignified with his own blanket.

These trees and this view is pretty much everything you see for the 900 miles of the Alaska Highway between Dawson Creek, BC and Whitehorse. These trees cover the mountains through which the highway travels. They look grey in the distance, giving the mountains a coat of silver.

This is a frozen lake (Teslin?), I forget which one, in the Yukon.

Watson Lake in the Yukon can really serve up a sandwich. The best meal I had all trip, anywhere in Canada, came at a restaurant in this town the size of a second-year biology class at the University of Toronto (population 1547). That was quite the sandwich.

Contact Creek, Yukon is one of my favourite places in the world. This truck stop emerges out of oblivion and disappears just as quickly. Inside, you will find a collection of books that includes severals Animorphs stories, two 1800-piece jigsaw puzzles and the friendly if chubby dog pictured above.

On the way back, Riyaad, seeking some levity, insisted that I take this picture. I later realized that there isn't much humour in flood prevention.

This smile says it all: the Calgary Greyhound terminal stinks of urine.

This explains why the roughly 600-kilometre drive from Regina to Winnipeg took over 8 hours.

Regina is a great little town, even if it is greatly lacking in places to eat.

No comments: