Saturday, September 01, 2007

Marketing Sprint Begins When the Race for the Gold Ends: Gay, the polite, soft-spoken sprinter from Kentucky, won the 200 meters Thursday, to add to the gold he won in the 100 earlier this week. He ran it in 19.76 seconds, breaking Michael Johnson’s meet record of 19.79, to become only the third man to win both the 100 and the 200 at the world championships. He also has a chance for a third gold, in Saturday’s 4x100 relay.

But Gay did not celebrate his feat as he crossed the finish line Thursday ahead of Usain Bolt of Jamaica. After eight races in six days and an unrelenting news media spotlight for the first time in his career, he was too exhausted to even hold up his arms.

“It has been extremely hard, but it’s fun at the same time,” Gay, 25, said. “When I go to McDonald’s and kids and fans want my autograph, it’s great. I don’t get that at home.”


It's good to see such an amazing athlete confess his fondness for McDonald's. Before my last race, which was one of the best I've ever run, the last thing I ate was a small bag of Lay's barbecue chips. I celebrated afterwards with three cans of Pepsi.

No comments: