Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Speaking of stunning reversals, do you remember the Greatest Show on Turf? There was a time when the St. Louis Rams made opposing defenses look like house plants. So good were the Rams, in fact, that they were what I hated before I started hating the Patriots. The Rams averaged at least 30 points a game for three consecutive years, and have been in the top 10 offenses in the NFL for the last eight seasons.

This year, the Rams have scored 39 points in four games, all losses. In 2000, the Rams began the season by scoring 41, 37, 41, 41 57 and 45 points. All six were wins, and in five of the six games, they scored more points than they have in all of 2007.

Just as stunning but with a greater immediacy are the reversals in fortune of the Chargers, Bears and Saints. These three teams lost 11 games all of last year, but they're already 2-9 this year. I had to look it up because it didn't seem right, but the Bears and Saints actually met in the NFC Championship game.

On the other hand, I bought tickets to the October 21 game between the Buccaneers and Lions. I was so grateful to be going to my first NFL game that I was willing to overlook the fact that both teams last over 10 games last year. As it stands now, I have tickets to see a division leader take on a playoff contender.

No comments: