Saturday, November 24, 2007

As if to confirm this recent entry, top-ranked LSU had to go and lose today to unranked Arkansas in triple-secret overtime. I can't decide whether it's better to be a winner or a loser in the NCAA.

Elsewhere, Gregg Easterbrook points out that if college football players shared in the revenue produced by their sport in the same way as professionals, each and every Division I player would be paid $114,000.

Much, much closer to home, in yet another display of how Canada manages to do quietly what America mucks up with an astonishing proficiency, the Canadian university football championships were played tonight. The University of Manitoba Bisons (for my American readers, this is all real) beat the Saint Mary's Huskies (for my Canadian readers, I had no idea St. Mary's existed until I wrote this) 28-14 in virtual anonymity. In the CIS, conference champions play in semi-final games that culminate in a national championship. For some reason, this just won't work for American football.

Working in a third brand of football in an already crowded entry, the Grey Cup will be played in my city on Sunday, where Winnipeg will have a chance to win its second national title in 48 hours. The Grey Cup, though it predates the Super Bowl by about 60 years, is notable only as a novelty. There are myriad reasons why Canadians have virtually no interest in a Canadian championship, at least part of which is playing the game in arguably the most sterile stadium in all of North America. It is somewhat unfortunate when thought about, though I would otherwise have no interest myself in seeing the Winnipeg Blue Bombers play the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Dave Perkins makes a case for CIS and CFL football over the NCAA and NFL variants, though I personally don't buy it.

No comments: