Saturday, February 02, 2008

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Whoa. Darlene Jones teaches a black-centred math unit at a middle school near Jane and Steeles. It "has touched on the Rwandan genocide, racial profiling and Loyalist history". That's odd, since I doubt Poles find their heritage boosted by hearing about British history, but let's set that aside for now. The real kicker is that Jones claims "I have a wide range [of students of different descent]: Caribbean, African, Vietnamese, Pakistani - all equally engaged".

No way. I can't believe it. I can't do math without trying to calculate the base of the Minar-e-Pakistan or trying to calculate how long it takes a Ghauri-II missile to travel from Lahore to New Delhi. My ability to perform as a student is dependent on the place where my parents were born and the colour of my skin. I would founder in a curriculum that talks about nothing but a bunch of old, dead black guys and completely ignores the richness of Pakistani history and culture. You might think that when I was in middle school, I was interested in baseball, the Simpsons and other aspects of Western culture, but you couldn't be more wrong. The only way to have reached me at that age, and even now, is by appealing to things which happened centuries ago and 10,000 kilometres away.

No comments: