Sunday, March 09, 2008

If you're a regular reader or acquaintance, watch your back, not to mention your flanks and your front. I'm seeing people go down right and left. I was walking down Bloor Street when I saw a cyclist, legs still on the pedals, lying in the street with a car a few metres away. He was being attended to by about three passers-by, one of whom was on a phone, presumably with 911. He wasn't moving, but I didn't see any blood or read about it later, so I think it's safe to say that he made it. The moral of this story is that if you're going to get hit by a car anywhere in this city, or anywhere in the world for that matter, do it in the Annex.

A couple of kilometres down the street at Christie, I told Siqi about what I saw earlier. Our conversation kept being interrupted by sirens, which really annoyed me. He told me that he'd once walked onto the scene of a death. Reassuringly, it was an accident in China. I walked down into Christie station to see three laughing paramedics figure out how to get a stretcher down a pair of escalators. I beat them to the platform and saw a group of police officers standing around a body. It was the first time I'd ever been in "a medical emergency onboard a train" situation, dispelling my belief that all such "medical emergencies" are really just suicide attempts. After maybe ten tense minutes, the body was put on a stretcher and we all got on the train and tried to forget what we'd seen.

No comments: