Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Let's move on now to the second major marathon of the year, the Boston Marathon on Monday. This time I would like to focus the wagering and prognostication on myself. I'll provide all the relevant information and a range of times from which you choose one, and the person or spambot who guesses closest to my actual time wins. Add on seconds to (virtually) eliminate the possibility of a tie. The winner will receive an autographed 8" x 10" picture of yours truly and a friendly thumbs-up.

Pick a time anywhere from 2:48:00 to 3:00:00, or 3:00:01 and over. Don't worry, I won't take that last prediction personally. At any rate, here's what you need to know.

My best marathon is a 3:10 from last May, but I ran a half marathon six weeks ago in 1:21. I've run 17:44 and 36:38 for 5k and 10k. I've been running about 110k a week since the start of the year, with easy weeks around 80k. I've done about 7 runs of 28k or more. The McMillan Calculator predicts 2:51. Key workouts have been a 32k run with the last 15k in 61 minutes (2:52 pace) and 20k hard in 1:18, faster than race pace. Keep in mind, of course, that Boston can be a tricky course with its hills and unpredictable weather.

Track your prediction here on Monday starting at 10.

No comments: