Monday, August 04, 2008

Today was my first day of work as a foreign teacher, one of the noblest of jobs. Plato did it with Dionisyus of Syracuse, Aristotle taught Alexander the Great, Seneca taught Nero and Descartes taught the queen of Sweden. Clearly, I'm in good company. Of course, these things never work out: Plato narrowly escaped with his life, Aristotle's association with his fellow Macedonian got him exiled, Seneca was forced to commit perhaps the most agonizing suicide ever, and Descartes got pneumonia and died promptly. As for me, however, it worked out well today. I also teach the privileged. My 6-year-old students pay roughly double what I paid to learn at the University of Toronto. Given how little their teacher's education cost, maybe they're not so privileged after all.

I think I'm pretty privileged. We get free cappuccino in the basement and the school provides the students with a lunch, and I get to share. Let it be said there is such a thing as a free lunch.

No comments: