Sunday, January 18, 2009

I told my 6-year-old students on Saturday to draw a picture of themselves when they're 20, and to tell me what they would be doing. The most ridiculous answer of all, ironically, was the most realistic at 20. Cinderella wanted to be a ballerina, which can happen by 20, I suppose. Yun Seo wanted to be a doctor, Mina wanted to be a fashion designer, and Alex wanted to be working in an office and to be a father. Thomas wanted to be a father who worked in an office and wore a yellow shirt with pink sleeves, a green tie and blue pants. Right away, there were some problems with that.

For Yun Seo, Alex and Thomas, the truth was especially bleak. At 20, they would be in the Korean army, serving the mandatory 2-year term, and they wouldn't even finish university until about 25. I didn't have the heart to tell them, however.

No comments: