Sunday, February 08, 2009

As I learn more and more Korean, I think there are some things that are easier to say in Korean than in English. Of course, it's also the case that there are some phrases in English that I haven't said in six months ("how much is it?", "excuse me", etc.). Still, the advantages of Korean are obvious, especially on the phone. Consider the following conversation in English:

A: Hello?
B: Hey, how's it going?
A: Good, how are you?
B: Good, where are you?
A: I'm at home, what about you?
B: Me too. Want to get something to eat?
A: Sure. How about Thai? There's that new restaurant by where I work.
B: Sounds good, see you there.

Here's how it goes in Korean, roughly speaking, pun intended:

A: Yeoboseyo (hello)
B: Yeobosyeo
A: Eodi-yaaaaa? (where are you?)
B: Jib-aeseo (I'm at home)
A: Grunt
B: Grunt
A: Grunt
B: Grunt
A: Grunt
B: Grunt
A: Grunt
B: Grunt
A: Nae (okay)
B: Grunt

No comments: