Wednesday, March 25, 2009


Prague's Franz Kafka International Named World's Most Alienating Airport

I can't say I've ever read any of Kafka's books, but I have seen the word Kafka-esque used in enough different contexts to be able to piece together the contents of his works. Still, this video makes me want to go and read The Metamorphosis.

The closest thing I've ever seen to Franz Kafka International Airport is Beijing Capital International Airport's Terminal 2. That was where I went from the bus to sitting at the gate in 12 minutes, clearing two security checks, customs and a check-in counter. There was no 32-hour delay, but nothing about what I'd just done felt right at all. There were precisely three flights that night at the terminal, which is part of the world's 8th-busiest airport: one to Seoul, one to Kazakhstan, and one to somewhere with a lot of obnoxious Westerners. A midnight flight to Kazakhstan has to rank terminal 2 pretty high up on the absurdity scale.

No comments: