Friday, March 06, 2009

The signs of spring are all around us, and that can only mean one thing: I'm set to run yet another ill-fated marathon. Comment and guess my finishing time for next Sunday's race. Whoever guesses closest will receive a package of ddeok (it is a kind of Korean rice cake). The possibilities are anywhere from 2:03 to about 9 hours, though 3:05 to 3:20 is more likely.

Here are the particulars. This is by far the least I have trained for a marathon, I've put in five weeks of about 70k a week preceded by four weeks of dormancy, preceded by 6 weeks of 70-80k a week. I ran a 37:51 10k in November and I'm in similar shape now, though the clock at the 10k I ran Sunday read 41:24. I've had two 30k runs, and both have been very good, and the handful of 24k runs preceding that were even better. The Seoul course is flat (course record is 2:07). My goal is to beat my PB of 3:10. Failing that, I would like this to be the first marathon I run that does not end in a med tent.

No comments: