Sunday, May 17, 2009

Here are some things people said to me this week:

Scene One

Six-year-old: You...is...heug-in (black person).

Scene Two

Nine-year-old: Do you have a Korean name?
Adeel, not wanting to reveal it: Uh, no.
Nine-year-old: Your Korean name is Kim Hong Jae.

Scene Three

Man in suit, calling from 30 feet down the street: Nice to meet you!
Adeel: Hi
Man: It's a hot day, isn't it? You'd agree (pointing to the sweat on my forehead).
Adeel: Uh, yeah, it's very hot.

He then proceeded to talk to me about Jehovah's Witnesses, all in English. Just before handing me a Tagalog copy of the Watchtower magazine, he said:

Man: May I ask where you're from?
Adeel: Canada.
Man: Oh! Sorry! Here is the English copy.

Scene Four

Man at baseball game: Where are you from?
Adeel: Canada
Man: Canada?!? TORONTO?!?!
Adeel: YES! TORONTO!

It turned out that his uncle lives in Toronto. He was so excited that he was going to call his uncle about this exciting new development, but I persuaded him not to, since it was 5:22 am in Toronto.

No comments: