Friday, July 24, 2009

A Chinese onion

I will spend four of the next five weeks somewhere in the People's Republic of China, which The Onion acknowledges with what may well be the greatest satirical output on the Internet since Satirewire closed in 2002 (never forget!). The current issue of the Onion is written from a Chinese perspective but not, mercifully, in a Chinese perspective (i.e. their language).

Pretty much everything on the page is hilarious, but I'll just pick ten, starting with the video I've embedded.


Police Still Searching For Missing Productive, Obedient Woman

The Following Are Examples of American Weakness
Potato-Faced Youngster Lauded For Memorizing Primitive 26-Character Alphabet (I like this because I memorized a 37-character alphabet and a 26-character alphabet as a youngster)
Internet Adds 12th Website
No U.S. Military Leader Is Worthy To Be Namesake Of Breaded Chicken Dish (Onion Radio News)
Collapsed Mine Used As Excuse To Stall Coal Extraction
Nothing At All Happens To 28 Tibetan Protesters, Their Families
How Can We Be More Productive To Society?
Three Dozen Confirmed [Redacted] In Power Plant [Redacted]
Grandfather Disrespected In Own Home

I realize that some of this reads as being critical of China. Therefore, I would like to say 中华人民共和国万岁!

No comments: