Monday, August 17, 2009

Even though I made it a point to shave this morning, the next ten days are the hairiest in this trip. I'll be traveling through small towns in northern Sichuan and Qinghai provinces. These places are not in Tibet proper, but they are on the Tibetan plateau and have large ethnic Tibetan populations, not to mention that they consider 24-hour hot water to be an amenity worth advertising. This is also the end of China proper, the China of Han Chinese. It's Tibetans and Uighurs from here on out.

Today I'll climb 7500 feet, which is why a drive of 400 km takes about 8 hours. I'll get as high as 12,000 feet this week. If you're a runner like me, the first thing that probably comes to your mind is altitude training. Mine too. If I can run 20 minutes today, it'll be a victory. Fun fact: Kangding, at about 9000 feet, is roughly the same altitude as Addis Ababa, the Ethiopian capital.

No comments: