Tuesday, July 27, 2010

And I forget just why I taste, oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile

By most measures, this past weekend wouldn't rate as enjoyable. At its core, I climbed a mountain for 10 hours, slept in one-hour shifts on the cold ground or buses, and then went shopping for a wedding dress. Still, I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't more of the most memorable I've had this year, and in a good way at that.

It all began on Thursday really, when I stayed out until midnight gawking at the wares sold at Dongdaemun market, which meant that I was already exhausted for my run at 5 on Friday morning. I slept in shifts from here on out, an hour after the run and two hours in the afternoon, but I was wide awake by the time I boarded a bus Friday night at 11. We arrived at Seoraksan on the east coast an hour early at 2 am, pretended to sleep for another hour and then took off at 3 am.

Lately I've been trying to make my hikes tougher by trudging out in the torrential rain or, in this case, starting in complete darkness and complete exhaustion. We trudged up a steep ridge for a couple of hours, and then crossed something of a plateau once the sun rose, reaching the peak at around 7:30. There was a shelter there where we could sleep, but it kicked hikers out at 8. So, we slept covered in mud on a cold ground that was cleaner than we were.

The descent was in reasonable weather, and I finished at 1 pm feeling like it was the early evening. Feeling sick, I returned to Seoul immediately, sleeping for something like 18 hours. I woke up at 1 pm the next day to a text message from a friend asking if I wanted to meet him in a Seoul's equivalent of Yorkville, Apgujeong. His exact words translate as sightseeing, which it is if you are not part of the aristocracy.

It turned out that I was a fourth wheel needed to balance out my friend's fiancee and her mom. We used valet parking to dine in the basement of a high-end department store, which is common but maybe not with your future mother-in-law. I'm used to being a fly on the wall, but it got really weird after that. I peeped at another couple's wedding photo shoot, where I felt less awkward than most since I didn't have to bow to a stranger.

Then we went wedding dress shopping. I never thought I would go wedding dress shopping in my life, much less go as an accessory to someone else. But, no one batted an eyelash at the small but prissy shop. I wanted to introduce myself as the couple's lawyer, but had to settle for the title of 친구분 (friend-person). It's a good thing I came since I was the only person other than the bride-to-be that didn't fall asleep.

5 comments:

Alex said...

I'm sure you were of invaulable help to the bride.

I wish you'd been there to help me. Now I'm worried my dress isn't Adeel Amhad Approved.

Alex said...

OMG I need to spell check my comments before I send them. I can't believe I spelt your last name wrong.

FACK.

Adeel said...

Amhad. Makes me sound like a sap.

Shan said...

I can't be the only one who, after reading the first paragraph, pictured you in a wedding dress.

Adeel said...

Reading it again, I also pictured myself in a wedding dress.