Friday, September 24, 2010

I hear things, part 4

Student: "It smells bad in here!"
Adeel: "It smells bad?"
Student: "Yeah!"
Adeel: "Well, it's probably you. You wear the same clothes everyday."
Student: "No, it's you!"
Adeel: "What are you talking about? There are eight of you and one of me. Plus, I wear different clothes everyday, you don't."
Student: "These are different clothes! These are gym clothes!"
Adeel: "Oh, gym? No wonder it smells in here!"
Student: "No, we didn't have gym, we had bible class."
Adeel: "Bible class, oh, uh, okay?"

Moral of the story: I hear things, but I don't always hear correctly. The student actually said 성교육 (song-gyo-yook, sex education), but I heard 성경교육 (song-kyong-gyo-yook, bible education). Small difference.

***

I was walking down the street talking to our school's maintenance man. Students from another school saw us.

"Where are you going with this American? Please! Tell me!"

I said hi to a few seniors that like to sit out on their stoop on sunny afternoons.

"You're really friendly with everyone, aren't you?" the maintenance guy noted.

Then I went to translate for a coworker.

Landlord: "What's your phone number?"
Me: "Whose phone number? Mine? "
Landlord: "Yours, she doesn't understand a thing.

***

I was marking a quiz, so I wrote down the answer key on a piece of paper, which went something like BBCDA BADB. An intrepid student saw it.

"Hey, what word is BBCDA?"

***

This is weirder because it was a phone conversation.

Me: Hi, do you have any rooms available on Sunday?
Hotel owner: Yeah, I do. When are you coming?
Me: Sunday?
Hotel owner: Wow, you speak Korean.
Me: Yeah...
Hotel owner: Yeah, just come. We have rooms.

***

Woman: Do they not have Chuseok in Canada? I think it's only in Korea.

***

Kenyan guy 1: They have the athletics World Championships here next year.
Kenyan guy 2: Oh yeah?
Kenyan guy 1: Yeah, you should buy your tickets now, because soon you won't be able to get a discount. For a good seat, it's 40, and for a great seat, it's 60.
Kenyan 2: That's not bad.
Kenyan guy 1: I just want to see those three guys: Mateelong, Kemboi and...
Kenyan guy 2: [suggests a name]
Kenyan guy 1: No, that's not it.

Note: Richard Mateelong and Ezekiel Kemboi are Kenyan steeplechasers. Kenya has had a general monopoly on the men's steeplechase for about 30 years.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hahaha! I think it's funny how the words for wedding and egg sound really similar (my family is from Gwangju and they say 겨란 for egg).

Also, re: sex ed, when my Korean friend went to boarding school in the US for high school, they were like, "Oh, she doesn't really understand English yet, let's just throw her into easy classes like sex ed for her first semester." She said she sat in those classes and thought, "This. Is. Awesome." Apparently Korean sex ed at the time (maybe 20 years ago?) was quite lacking.