Monday, September 05, 2011

How is 안심클릭 still in business?

There's security paranoia and then there's trying to buy something from a Korean website. Generally, it's not worth it to pay by credit card online because the ensuing process will bankrupt your patience if not your computer's capacity to function. Even if you speak Korean, the Korean will not be rendered by your computer, you will have to use Internet Explorer (the older, the better), download about 3-4 security programs and give out information you didn't know you had.

I negotiated all this to buy a bus ticket, when I got this screen:



After all that security software, I need to input my card's pin number, its own four-digit security code, and, of all things, my national ID number. Is that really necessary? The next screen asks for a 30-character phrase in Korean that I no longer remember, so this is where the odyssey ended for me.

What is so bad about the way that the rest of the world handles credit card transactions?

Here is my previous look at Korean banking.

Buying a bus ticket, by the way, is no piece of cake either. Like anything else in this country, I had to enter my ID number, which includes your date of birth, only to be told that you need to be at least 14 to buy a bus ticket. When I tried it again with Internet Explorer, all of a sudden I was older than my students.




I wouldn't necessarily say that life in Korea is hard, or unduly hard for foreign residents, but getting things done online is incredibly vexing no matter who you are.

3 comments:

itissaid said...

You might want to black out your name on the screen shot.

Adeel said...

They asterisked out the D! I'm untraceable!

yujinishuge said...

That was the security thing I had to use to get my pizza. You appear to have gotten further than I have. I was using IE and clicking on all the active x things.

I've pretty much had it with that particular security program.

It would be less of a hassle to have my pizza delivered to my parents house in the US and having them mail it to me.